Friday, February 27, 2009

It's Me Again - Finally!!

When you get older your memory just seems to leave you at times. Jean had told me how to post then I forgot and now, hopefully, I have figured it out once again.

The past month has been awful. I have been as sick as I've ever been and still can't shake the cough. Felt so for LaNell since she had it too. Doctor fussed and wanted me to go to hospital but without good insurance I fight that. After finally a lot of medicine including shots and so forth, it seems I'm about to be well again. It's no fun being sick and especially when your husband really doesn't know what to do and you have to keep on keepin' on. I even missed church and that's only the second time in the almost eight years we've been here that that's happened.

I am in the midst of making plans for Daddy Tom's 70th birthday. It's hard for me to believe that he's this old. At our age it's funny that when you read the newspaper obituaries that you check the ages of the people - and scarey because a lot of them are SOOOOOOO close to our age. Facing the final years of life makes one so thankful for all the we have. Many times he and I have talked about how fortunate we have been to have such wonderful children and grandchildren. We know so many people whose lives have been filled with heartaches because of the actions of their children, etc, but we have never had to worry. God has truly blessed us with the BEST!

Spring is about to arrive and then summer. Hopefully, this summer will find us spending time together at the beach. Time is quickly passing and I want to take advantage of our being together. This past week Tom lost his best friend (John Gibson) and it has really affected him. He so wanted to go see him before he died but didn't make it. There are some things that we don't need to put off. Memories have flooded his conversations the past weeks and he has truly been sad.

Do you know what our greatest regret is? That we have not been close to each of our children and been able to spend as much time sharing in their daily lives. We love being in Hartsville with Kim and getting to share those years with them. I just wish I could have been closer so that I could have helped in some small way - keep children, cook meals, nurse you when you were sick, and oh, so many other things.

Know that you are always loved dearly and thought about each and every day. We talk about you all the time because that makes us feel just a little bit closer.

4 comments:

LaNelle said...

Oh I am so sorry that you have been so sick! I can say that I truly feel for you! I am over the worst of it but started wheezing again today so who knows. I wish I could be closer to ya'll! I hate that its been OVER A YEAR since I was last there to visit! But I am so looking forward to this summer. I can't believe Daddy Tom is almost 70! Well I am excited that you made a post! Love you!

Libbi said...

YEA for a new post!!!!! It made me cry. I too regret not being closer to family and am determined to spend more time with my family. I am so happy that we get to spend time together this summer and I have already found a place in NMB for next year so we can truly be together!!!

kim e said...

I am glad you are finally getting over your sickness. It is so nice to see that spring is just around the corner and that means spring break and then summer for all that fun with family!! I am so looking forward to it.

Jean said...

I am so glad that you are finally feeling better! You are right, we should always take the time to tell those we love how much they mean to us before we lose the opportunity! So...thank you for always being such a great example of kindness and tenderness. It has been a great light to me! I love you! Looking forward to the beach this summer!